Thursday, August 10, 2006

I'm not worried

Let's recap my journey to campus.
I left at 6am (I was suppose to leave at 5:30am but in typical fashion I was late) and got to the airport fine. Check in my baggage which was probably 40 lbs overweight (they didn't care) and said goodbye. Went through security and got to my gate. I was flying stand by but they said the fly was open enough I would make it on and just gave me a boarding pass. Cue insanity. The plane's battery dies, they try to jump it for like 2 hours (I guess they don't have a replacement battery) then we finally steal a plane from another group of people. Right as I was walking through the gate my ticket sets off the alarm as they scan it. They ask me to stand aside and ask if I have gone through security. Of course I did, how else would I have gotten here. They tell me to go talk to the lady at the counter who turns out had given me the wrong ticket. I get the wrong one and I am the last one on the plane (which means I get the middle seat since southwest lets people choose where they sit.)

I get to Baltimore fine. We decided to fly into Providence Rhode Island because Manchester New Hampshire looked packed. There were about 6 or 7 flights from Baltimore that day. Because we had been delayed the plane missed its connecting flight to Providence (not a problem since I knew I might get bumped anyways) but then all the people who missed their flight got on the next one, which bumped me back another hour. Then all the people who couldn't fit on that one went to the next one and I got bumped again. I go up to the counter (because I have to check in every time with the lady to get my name on the list) and she says it doesn't look good for the next flight either. At this point I have been sitting in an airport for several hours. I start calling people, wanting human contact.

The flight is just about to leave and I am standing at the counter hoping for a miracle. A lady who missed a flight and had top priority goes up to the desk and puts her name on the list. A guy from the flight comes out and says they have one more seat. The lady at the desk starts calling off names of people and I am watching as no one stands up, finally I hear A. M******. Here's the thing, I am non-revenue non-employee, which basically means I am last on every list. She looks at the pass (which tells her I am a non-rev), gives me a look and then tells me to hurry I have 30 seconds to get on the plane. So I run and grab my bags and my phone (which is charging in the wall) and run for the plane. She doesn't even print me a ticket she just tells me to get on. (I think she felt bad that I had been sitting there so long.)

I get on the flight (last one on and in the middle seat again). The guy next to me tries to talk to me the whole flight about Denver and college. I land in Providence (my first time in Rhode Island) and when I get off the plane the girl who I sat next to on the plane was propossed to at the gate. Thanks to a lot of pictures and my surprised look I will probably be showing up as a "That Guy" on college humor soon.

I went to baggage claim (assuming my luggage got left behind in Baltimore since I barely got on the flight) and discovered it wasn't there! not a surprise. I search around the place for the southwest baggage area and couldn't find it. I almost called my Aunt Nancy (the one we got the tickets from) to see if she knew where it would be. About to call her I find it and see that they they had my luggage (they just send it ahead of you when you fly stand by.) Shane finds me without too much difficultly and we drive back 2 hours to college.

Woke up the next morning at 11 and I went with Shane and some of his friends to the Quarry. A giant hole in the ground (like from Garden State). Spent the day jumping off cliffs into lakes. A lot of fun. I leave saturday morning for New York and LaVida. If I don't post before then, I will try and get some of the pictures up afterward. Keep it real in Highlands Ranch till you all leave for college guys.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Like way to be in Rhode Island and not contact me.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

sounds like a crazy adventure, but i'm glad that you got there safe. =]

10:34 PM  
Blogger Chelsea said...

I am glad you got there safe. For a minute as I was reading it I thought that you said the girl next to you on the plane proposed to you. So of course my natural reaction was, "awkward..." But except for that it sounded like you had a great time :)

12:53 AM  
Blogger Sara without an H said...

hey, do you have a mailing address yet?

4:38 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

ARE YOU BACK FROM YOUR STUPID TRIP YET.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

hey austin, i moved my page to ryfarizz.blogspot.com if you want to link it

Its sweet that you got to college, i just got all moved in today its pretty tight, good luck man, ill be talkin to ya

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home